Sponsor Donation Report


Here is an Overview of the amazing sponsors of the Topeka Bikeways Project,

Thank you to all the generous sponsors! Here is a listing by size of Donation.

Tour de France Winners $10,000

  • Krumins Family Fund of the Topeka Community Foundation
  • Topeka Community Foundation Health Grant

Tour de France Racers $5,000

  • Betty Sisk/ Topeka Community Foundation Fund
  • CSS Fund of Topeka Community Foundation

Century Riders $2,500

  • Kaw Valley Bike Club
  • Parker Family Fund
  • S.K. “Ken” and Pam Alexander

Sprinters $1000

  • Bartlett and West Engineering
  • Capps Jerry Armstrong
  • Sandra K and Staley J Vogel
  • Steve Briman
  • Andy and Kristine Frye
  • Jason Tanton/Prudential

Up-Hill Racers $500

  • Jan Hamilton
  • Leroy and Lois Wages
  • Roger and Karen Viola/ TCF Fund
  • Laura Burton and Sara O’Keeffe

Down-Hill Racers $250

  • Michael Bradley
  • Brian Austin
  • Judy Thomas/ Dover Café
  • Kristine Wellborn

Riders $100

  • Paul Post
  • Art Glassman
  • Bill Lucero
  • Erin Chamberlain
  • Gregory B. Dawson

Supporters <$100

  • Anonymous
  • Carlson Scroggins
  • Kem Cooper

Updated Sun Jun 01 2014

Bike Around Topeka Fundraiser for TopekaBikeways

Come to the Bike Around Topeka fundraiser on Sunday September 28th at 1:00pm. The fundraiser is sponsored by the Kaw Valley Bicycle Club featuring 4 routes. Suggested donation is $15.00 per person and $30.00 per family. Larger donations are welcome. There will be SAG stops available on each route.

Route 1 Family

BAT Route 1 Family

Bike across topeka

Family Route 1

Route 1

BAT Route 1

BAC Route 1

Route 2

BAT Route 2

BAC Route 2

Route 3

BAT Route 3

BAC Route 3

Minutes from the Bikeways Advisory Committee


Attachments :



Topeka Bikeways Advisory Committee

February 13th, 2014 Minutes


  • Karen Hiller (Chair), Becky Pepper, Jim Ogle, Kurt Kidd, Brian Austin, Alan Apel, Artie Gonzales, Nick Xidis, Bill Riphahn (late)


STAFF PRESENT: Julie Anderson, Carlton Scroggins, Jeff Hunt,

  1. Introductions: The committee introduced themselves to new member Nick Xidis. He works at se2, is active in the Boy Scouts program, and is a bike commuter.
  1. Communications:
    1. Fundraising: Mr. Kidd noted that two contributions have been made since our last meeting: $250 from Jason Tanton; and $900 from Andy and Kristina Fry.

Ms. Hiller mentioned that both the Deer Creek Extension and Bikeways Phase II TA applications received unanimous votes to move forward.

  1. Action Item: none
  1. New Items/Discussion:
    1. 37th St, Gage to Burlingame: Mr. Hunt stated that this project is currently under design. He wanted the Committee’s feedback on how to approach widening projects, as many times Master Plans get outgrown in the years between when they are made and when implementation actually starts. The Plan calls for Complete Street design including bike lanes. Mr. Hunt said they were considering doing sidepaths instead of bike lanes. Discussion. Mr. Apel shared that originally it had been discussed to have the sidepath on the South side, but he thought on the North side was a better option. Mr. Hunt said that that is the preferred design choice at this point.
    2. Mr. Austin opened up a larger discussion on the issue of sidepaths or bike lanes. Mr. Apel shared that he felt safer riding in the street. Ms. Hiller brought up that the Plan states that 40mph is the threshold for using bike lanes or sidepaths, and recently the City increased the 35 mph speed limits to 40 since that is what people were driving anyway. Ms. Anderson stated that sometimes it is preferable to have a bike lane and sometimes a sidepath, and that each scenario would be different. Ms. Pepper stated that sidepaths can be expensive and should be considered in context. Mr. Hunt said that many times it is economically the best cost for the City to put in a sidepath because they are already doing the work to put in a 5’ sidepath. It was decided that the issue of putting in a sidepath or bike lane would be discussed on a project by project basis. Mr. Hunt also stated that there is a Public Meeting regarding this project on Monday, February 17th at 4:30 at the Light of the World Church.

Mr. Xidis asked about car/bike interference on sidepaths and if there could be signage at cross streets and driveways. It was discussed that many times this can alleviated through design.

    1. Mr. Austin brought forth some issues in design that have come up with Phase I that he wanted input from the Committee on.

6th St – Monroe to Van Buren. Sharrows vs. Bike lanes: width of road would mean 2’9” bike lanes, which is quite narrow. Ms. Pepper mentioned that design must follow AASHTO standards to be approved by KDOT. Mr. Austin suggested doing sharrows instead. Mr. Anderson suggested having a bike lane on the uphill portion and sharrows on the downhill. Mr. Xidis brought up the issue of how to handle bicyclists at intersections. It was suggested to have bike boxes. This section likely to have sharrows instead of bike lanes

6th/Golden: currently 5 lanes, but getting a bike lane in there would be tight. This is a very small length, and the rest of 6th St, from Market to Branner, calls for bike lanes. Mr. Ogle suggested we be consistent with what do and not have a hodgepodge of bike lanes and sharrows for just a few blocks. Ms. Anderson stated she would like the bike lanes for the rest of 6th and thought that having sharrows for this small portion was fine. Ms. Pepper mentioned that with KDOT possibly restructuring the bridge as part of a future project to do what would be best for the overall future plan.

4-way stops at 25th & Indiana and 25th & Arrowhead: Discussion about changing STOP signs. It was decided to leave these stop signs as is.

27th & Topeka: How to get across Topeka Blvd? There are currently no sidewalks or crosswalk. Ms. Pepper stated that if a crosswalk was installed vehicle counts would have to be done. Ms. Anderson asked if the crosswalk signal would be accessible to a person on a bike. Mr. Austin said it would be.

21st & College: Mr. Austin was unsure of where this project was. Mr. Hunt assured him it was still in process and would be forthcoming.

Golden – Shunga Trail to Seward: Discussion on how to get bicyclists from the trail to the bridge. Plan calls for sidepath, but are considering sharrows. The committee was okay with doing sharrows.

Route 14 destination: Plan is slightly unclear about where this route ends—at the Oakland Park or the RV park. It was decided that the route should go to the park.

Kansas Ave bridge: Plan calls for sharrows on NB outside lane. Suggested to also have Sharrows on the SB side, since the sidewalk is heavily used by pedestrians.

Kansas Ave to NOTO: The plan has a loop around Quincy and Norris streets because of the median right off the bridge. Suggested getting rid of the loop and having bicyclists used the median. Discussion on safety and if bicyclists would use the median regardless. It was decided to keep the loop, since cars must do the same, with the knowledge that we are providing a safe route and it can be used or not.

  1. Quick Updates: Ms. Anderson let the group know that the TA Grant Application was completed and sent in the mail that day. She has an electronic copy that she will send out to the committee.

Mr. Apel shared he will be attending the National Bike Summit in March in Washington, D.C. representing his district. He also mentioned that there will be a Traffic 101 class on March 10th and 24th at TCCP from 5:30-9. This class is a prerequisite for anyone wanting to attend the LCI training in Kansas City. We currently have two LCIs in Topeka—Alan Apel and Artie Gonzales.


Ms. Hiller shared that the Speed Limit ordinance will be at City Council March 4th. Bike Parking will be at the March Planning Commission meeting. Ms. Anderson will confirm if it is being read in February as well. Ms. Anderson also shared that the Bike Share meeting hosted by Topeka Metro went very well and lots of great input was received. Ms. Hiller is working on getting new members; Kristen Veverka has taken a new job and will no longer be a committee member. Her position is not being filled.


Next Meeting: Thursday, February 27th, 2014 in Sunflower Conference Room.



The Bicycle Friendly Community review committee was impressed with the growing commitment to make Topeka a great place for bicyclists. The Honorable Mention given by the reviewers reflects their view that some of the key building blocks of creating a Bicycle Friendly Community are in place.

Particular highlights were the Complete Streets policy, the Bikeways Master Plan, the off-road path network, Bike Month activities, National Bike Challenge participation, cycling events and the work of the Topeka Community Cycle Project, the Kaw Valley Bicycle Club, and the Bikeways Plan Committee.

Reviewers were very pleased to see the current efforts and dedication to make Topeka a great place for yclists.

See the attached document. BFC_spring2013_feedback_topeka

New Logo!

The winners of the logo contest are Laura Burton and Sara O’Keeffe.

Topeka Bikeways Logos zip file all formats.

Topeka Bikeways Logo PDF PDF file format.

Read more in the TCJ article here http://cjonline.com/news/2013-05-12/topeka-road-being-more-bicycle-friendly

Topeka Bikeways Logo competition

Topeka Bikeways is holding a logo competition.
There is a $150.00 prize for the winner, the submitter will also be recognized at the $500 level gifting recognition level. Deadline is Tuesday, the 9th of April 2013.

Logo should be a single color, ideally in a vector/scalable format and the rights to the logo will be donated by the author to the Topeka Bikeways/City of Topeka.

Please mail your proposal to logos@topekabikeways.org


Donation Agreement between Topeka Bikeways Committee and the TOPEKA COMMUNITY FOUNDATION

Donation Agreement


THIS AGREEMENT is made and entered into this 11th day of February 2013, between Topeka Bikeways Committee, and the TOPEKA COMMUNITY FOUNDATION, a Kansas non-profit corporation (the Foundation)


1. Transfer. The Donor hereby gives, assigns, transfers and delivers to the Foundation, the sum of $100.00 in cash.  This property and all future gifts and other additions (the Property) shall and be irrevocable and held, administered and distributed in accordance with this Agreement.

2. Segregation of Fund: The Property shall be held by the Foundation under the name of “The Topeka Bikeways Fund” (the Fund). The income and principal of the Fund may be commingled with other Foundation assets.

3. Purpose of the Fund.  To cover expenses relating to building, maintaining, and supporting the bicycling infrastructure and related programs in Topeka and Shawnee County.   Funds may be used for, but are not limited to: engineering; education; encouragement; enforcement; and, evaluation and planning; related to bicycling. These five “E”s are further defined by the League of American Bicyclists.  

4. Use of the gift. The income and principal from the Fund shall be granted or expended for or in furtherance of the purposes of the Fund.

5. Charitable use. The applicable laws and governing instruments of the Foundation require that the Foundation have legal control over the donated property. If the purpose for which the Fund was established is no longer possible or practical, after consultation with the Board of Directors of the Donor, the Foundation may designate an alternate use or uses similar to the original purpose of the Fund. No restriction or condition is or will be imposed upon the administration of this Fund which prevents the Foundation from freely and effectively employing the assets of income therefrom in furtherance of charitable purposes.

6. Fee for Service. The Fund established under this Agreement shall be the property of the Foundation, owned and held by it, subject to the terms of this Agreement.  As compensation for its services, the Foundation shall receive and initial fee of $150.00 to be paid upon the execution of this Agreement, and an annual administrative fee based on the Foundation’s current fee policy.

7. Variance Power.  This agreement is subject to the foundation’s authority to vary the terms of the gift as stated in Article III Section I of the Foundation’s bylaws.  The foundation shall promptly notify the agency of any decision to exercise the variance power.

 8. Administration Provisions; The Fund shall be administered under and subject to the Procedures for Operation of Special Purpose Funds as the same may be prescribed by the Foundation, including amendments thereof.

 WITNESS THE EXECUTION HEREOF as of the day and year first above written


By: Duane Hueser


By:     Roger K. Viola, President


What is this?

Shared lane pavement markings (or “Sharrows”) are bicycle symbols carefully placed to guide bicyclists to the best place to ride to avoid doors opening from parked cars; and sharrows are also placed to remind drivers to share the road with cyclists.

Unlike bicycle lanes, sharrows do not designate a particular part of the street for the exclusive use of bicyclists.

They are simply a marking to guide bicyclists to the best place to ride and remind motorists to expect to see and share the lane with bicyclists.

See Also :